Monday, August 30, 2010

will we let this hatred continue?

Last night Sr. Martha Ann invited us to join her at a Ramadan Iftar, the evening meal by which Muslims break their day-long fast.  She had been invited to speak about her peacebuilding mission to Iraq to a group of interfaith leaders from San Antonio.

The evening began with a beautiful prayer from the Qur'an and a welcome from the Imam (like the priest in Catholicism).  Then he introduced sister Sarwat, the leader of the San Antonio chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR).  A graceful Pakistani woman, her Islamic dress was red and white with a beautiful scarf wrapping her head.  She smiled from the podium, but her eyes reflected a deep sadness as she began. 

"I could talk about the celebration of Ramadan," she said.  "But none of us are really in the mood for celebration."

She continued on to share, instead, her insights and frustrations with perceptions and attitudes toward Muslims in the United States.  She spoke of the anger that so many people feel toward the building of mosques and community centers, and reminded us of a taxi driver who was stabbed only days ago because he is Muslim.  She pointed out that each day, we hear and see in the media more negative stories of Muslims.  She calmly but passionately explained the ignorance of that attitude. 

"Every religion has extremists and radicals," she told us.  "Why is it that all Muslims are expected to take responsibility for the actions of some fundamentalists who are not practicing the true teachings of Islam anyway?  We condemned 9-1-1.  We are not happy about the war, either.  When I hear about the drone attacks in Pakistan it breaks my heart; I cry myself to sleep.  Will we let this hatred continue?"

She showed a slide reporting the religious affiliations claimed by U.S. citizens -- this percent Christian, this percent Muslim, this percent non-believers, etc.  "But who cares?" she said.  "We are one people.  Will we let ourselves be defined and segregated by our religious affiliations?"

I am no expert on Islam.  I am no expert on American-Islamic relations.  I do know that the rhetoric coming from many voices in our country is driven not by the desire for peace but by fear, hatred, or ignorance.  I also see how our wars are perpetuating that message.  War does not bring real peace.  It breeds hatred.

I will conclude with a passage that was quoted from the Qur'an, a holy book of Islam.  It teaches the same messages of love of neighbor and self taught by Christian scriptures.  I believe more now than ever that we worship one God, we just know that God by different names:

“If anyone kills a person it would be as if he killed the whole humanity: and if anyone saved a life it would be as if he saved the life of the whole humanity" (5:32).

Let us be instruments of peace.

*I took a bit of liberty in quoting Sarwat.  This is how I remember what she said.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for guilting me into reading your blog. I now have it book marked and you can expect regular feedback from me via the comments link or otherwise. Best Wishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Every religion has extremists and radicals,"

    True, but with Islam the radicals are not few and far between but rather gaining strength and influence in the Muslim world, radicalizing the mainstream.

    One such radical managed to rise to the rank of major in the U.S. Army and kill 13 people at Fort Hood not a year ago. Shouldnt the people of Texas have the right to feel apprehensive about the prospect of more Islam in their communites?

    I hope you'll watch this clip from a Kuwaiti talkshow aired all over the Arab world in which the topic is what should be done to those who leave Islam. It is very moving to see how the moderate scholar pleads with the young audience. As long as his views are not the norm Islam will remain incompatible with democracy and human rights.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngV-8s70HfU&feature=player_embedded#!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for those comments, Fredrik. I understand what you're saying but I still disagree. That's what dialogue is for, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed! I hope you'll keep updating this blog once you get down there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not studied the Qur'an so I do not know all of the teachings. Is anything written in the holy book about Jihad and the justification to kill non-Muslim peoples? I agree with you Emily about the need to seek peace. Why do we tend to lump all people in a category so that if you are a certain color, race, profession, religion, then you are all bad/the same, etc...I see it in farming when HSUS portrays all livestock producers as abusive towards animals. We are all persecuted to some degree based on what we do/who we are. While I agree there is a place for defense and prevention I would also affirm the need to create peace versus revenge.

    ReplyDelete